Skip to main content

Holland* Rocks

Drew and I have spent the past three weeks homeschooling. It is not the version of homeschooling I would choose for us were we to do this long-term, but rather the closest we can come to maintaining his at-school curricula and schedule with the resources we have available. Our goal with maintaining a similar structure is to ease the transition back into the classroom when the time comes. Since transitions are a major struggle for Drew, this is of paramount importance. If we were homeschooling "our way", it would be more like unschooling than the traditional image of homeschooling. He is a self-motivated learner which would make it easy to follow his lead. In fact, that is why we chose a Montessori school.

Today he spent nearly three hours doing math on a fabulous website called Math Playground. It's right up his alley. Tons of games. Challenging questions. Best of all, he doesn't have to write anything down or show his work. And, truly, how often to we do math in our daily lives where we have a chance to "show our work"? It's been an amazing process doing this homeschooling thing; getting a glimpse into how his brain works, how he processes numbers, approaches physics with such determination, and never runs out of things to do, learn and discover.

Homeschooling has been the easiest part of the past three weeks, even doing it in a more traditional manner. The hard part has been the emotional roller-coaster and general disruption of our world. Stress is an understatement. I can't remember the last time I pulled an all-nighter to type a 7-page report. I was certainly young enough that I didn't need 3 days of sleep afterwards. My google skills and Bob's partnership have been key to getting things back on track. We're still accepting prayers and happy dances if anyone's offering.

*Welcome to Holland was written by Emily Perl Kingsley in 1987. Our family has been visiting Holland for quite some time and has come to enjoy its beauty. If we ever make it to Italy, it will most certainly be by way of Holland.

Comments

Unknown said…
You know that you all have been in my prayers all along.
I love all you guys. We all do down here in the 'hood.

Popular posts from this blog

The Law According to Murphy

Today we hoofed it around The Mall. Again. I am 1 part too excited about the weather to go underground to take the Metro and 2 parts too phobic to ride the Metro as the Grown Up In Charge. The last time I was in DC, I was a whopping 17 years old and being led around by the Close Up Foundation . The biggest responsibility I had was deciding what color I wanted them to make my hair at Commander Salamander . So, we walked. And, truly we're just a few block from the Capitol. However, if you've been to DC, you know that the Capitol and, say, the Washington Monument are a smidgen apart from one another...like a mile-long smidgen. And, if you know me then you know that I am the world's number one couch potato. In fact, there are many times I don't even go all the way to the couch as it's just too far from my oh-so-comfy bed. God bless Tempur - pedic . There's a point in here. I swear. I'll get to it eventually. First, I must also explain that we had plans to meet...

Unacceptable

The only solution to my blogging debacle, to date, is the revert back to a standard template, without any of the bells and whistles that make my blog MINE. What is the point of a blog that is not MINE? How ironic is it that the NaBloPoMo theme for this month is "voices"? Today's post brought to you by the discourteous folks at Google who cannot be bothered to help the multitudes experiencing this problem. Thanks. Really. From the bottom of my heart. You guys are the best. Smooches!

Photo Hunt: Time

Hillary & Me 1987 Hillary & Me 2007 All that time ...the Garfield slippers and bared abdomens are gone, but we exchanged them for better things like children and arch support.