Skip to main content
To Kelly

We met, dressed in black formal wear, standing on the steps of the Chico Women's Center, having been selected for Alpha Delta Pi's Preference party. Lord, what were we doing there? We wondered it aloud that very day and many times after. We were the last people anyone would have predicted would join a sorority.

The best thing about that damn day was meeting you. And the best thing that came from belonging to that sorority was our friendship. We endured the sorority, college, dating Mark and Bob, marrying Mark and Bob, and having 2 beautiful children each. (Why'd you always make me go first, anyway?)

I feel like my memories with you span a lifetime. You made me better, made the world better and touched so many people in such individual ways. The only way to capture it all is a lose free association of all those little things:

UCB ADPi's who can't sing
Flower Pinning
Kiwi Margaritas & Espinaca
Alum on the bum
Double D
Epi Claw
Dads in the Kamikaze chair
New Dog, New Condo, New Husband
Morning sickness, all day sickness, 9 month sickness
Guess my weight at the Boardwalk
U Turns downtown Chico
Bachelorette party in Santa Cruz
Bachelorette party in Disneyland - kidnapped of course
"Roommates" with you
Roommates with Mark
The HOUSE
Midori Sours
Wedding Toasts
The Dissed Maid/Maid without Honor
Fake Nails
Up Do's
Dropping by class
Playing Catch - getting busted
PADA
WOMAD on crutches
Hunan's
Scavenger Hunt
Wedding Boots
Quest for The DRESS
Detachable Veil
Blood stains vanished
Pool Parties
Sunflowers and Watermelons
Christmas Presents in the Summer, Birthday Presents at Christmas
ROAD TRIP
Dancing at The Bear
Sorry, I'm married...with kidS...yep
Jewel Degree - ICK
Great America w/the kids
Bomb threats
Babies
IVs
Ultrasounds

Then, Mark called (Fall 2003). He could barely get the words out. Kel has breast cancer. I couldn't think. It's never good. Not when you're young. Never when you're young. You had just picked us up from the Three Day Walk. The irony was too much. You couldn't have it. But you did.

Fast Forward a couple weeks, Chloe's party. You look good. Treatment will start soon. Chemo first, then double mastectomy, then radiation. We all go out to dinner after Chloe's party.

Email updates from Tracy. I email well wishes to you and Mark, leave voicemails to let you know I'm thinking about you...praying for you. I know how tired chemo can make you - Tree was always so tired. I knew you needed to stay strong for your girls, Mark, teaching, coaching. I just wanted you to know I was there if you needed me.

Chemo done- hard, but done, bilateral mastectomy done w/TRAM reconstruction, looks okay. Come home for a bit-was it even a week. Easter. Back in the hospital. Infection. Liver. Cancer. Liver. Herceptin. Not working. DNR in effect. Family camping out on the floor in sleeping bags. Waiting. Loving you and waiting. Mix tapes from Mary from college so you have music. Dad by your side. Mark, Tracy, Mom, Kevin, Bryan...everyone is there. Not your girls...you didn't want that for them. I think I understand that part. But, I don't understand anything else.

CANCER SUCKS. You are too young, too strong, too amazing to be leaving us. You are so close to your 36th birthday, to your daughter's 7th birthday, to Mother's Day - unfairly close. Tears pour from me constantly, tears and prayers. The prayers change, but not the tears. Give her strength, make her well. Then, give her peace, let her know we love her. Take care of Mark and the girls and the hundreds of people who love Kel like I do and can't imagine her being gone from this Earth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Law According to Murphy

Today we hoofed it around The Mall. Again. I am 1 part too excited about the weather to go underground to take the Metro and 2 parts too phobic to ride the Metro as the Grown Up In Charge. The last time I was in DC, I was a whopping 17 years old and being led around by the Close Up Foundation . The biggest responsibility I had was deciding what color I wanted them to make my hair at Commander Salamander . So, we walked. And, truly we're just a few block from the Capitol. However, if you've been to DC, you know that the Capitol and, say, the Washington Monument are a smidgen apart from one another...like a mile-long smidgen. And, if you know me then you know that I am the world's number one couch potato. In fact, there are many times I don't even go all the way to the couch as it's just too far from my oh-so-comfy bed. God bless Tempur - pedic . There's a point in here. I swear. I'll get to it eventually. First, I must also explain that we had plans to meet...

Unacceptable

The only solution to my blogging debacle, to date, is the revert back to a standard template, without any of the bells and whistles that make my blog MINE. What is the point of a blog that is not MINE? How ironic is it that the NaBloPoMo theme for this month is "voices"? Today's post brought to you by the discourteous folks at Google who cannot be bothered to help the multitudes experiencing this problem. Thanks. Really. From the bottom of my heart. You guys are the best. Smooches!

Photo Hunt: Time

Hillary & Me 1987 Hillary & Me 2007 All that time ...the Garfield slippers and bared abdomens are gone, but we exchanged them for better things like children and arch support.