Skip to main content

Crappy Day

Today has sucked. Not completely, just mostly. Aunnie's best friend moved to Pennsylvania today. This is the second of her two closest friends to move in the past month. So, she and I spent the morning at the mall getting her ears pierced and having a little retail therapy. She's never really been to the mall with me for a shopping excursion. So, this was a big deal to her. We had a good time aside from the brief tears during the ear piercing.

Then, we spent the afternoon at the vet with our oldest dog, Casey. She stopped eating and I found a lump under her jaw near the throat (lymph node area) which made my heart drop into my stomach. I was raised in a rural setting where pets weren't really mourned or given human attributes. So, you'd think I'd be a little less freaked out. However, we've had Casey for as long as my kids can remember. She's a fixture in our lives and a good one. Drew is especially close to her. So, off to the vet we went.

It doesn't look good. All of her lymph nodes are enlarged. She has no fever, but was pretty dehydrated. So, they gave her fluids (made her look like a camel as they give them subcutaneously) and aspirated some of the enlarged lymph nodes. They also sent us home with a Rx of antibiotics on the off chance it's just an infection of some kind (unlikely given the lack of fever.) The results of her blood work and aspirations should be available on Monday. After her appointment, we got some wet dog food in the hopes she'd eat it and keep it down which she has. So, that's a good thing. She seems to have perked up some since the fluids and food. But, I don't have a good feeling about this. She seems like a classic description of lymphoma which has a life expectancy, when symptomatic, of a few weeks to a year (if chemo is given.)

Oh, and earlier in the week, Drew's diagnosis of Asperger's grew to Asperger's, ADHD, ODD and possibly Tourette Syndrome. I'd like to do a post on invisible disabilities, but don't know if I have it in my right now.

Fun times 'round here. Mommy needs a cocktail.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Leah,
Do you really mean ODD, not OCD? Neither is great, but I suppose I'd prefer OCD. Those disorders are seem so common today - they're the 'popular' ones. Either way, I'm so sorry that you got all this laid on you. I'm thinking of you.
Anonymous said…
Sorry to hear about your pup :(. Hope the news from the vet is good!
califmom said…
Hi Karen,
Yes, it's ODD. However, he's certainly OCD as a part of the Asperger's. Of course, my personal belief is that it's all symptomatic of the Asperger's. None of it really surprised us. It's just hard to see it in writing. On a positive note, the new meds he's switching to seem to be a better fit. Too soon to tell, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
califmom said…
Thanks Rachel. We're hoping to hear good things, but realistic. I spent the part of the morning spooning Casey on the living room rug and crying. Her breathing is labored, but she is eating wet food and drinking. She doesn't seem to be in pain. But the lymph nodes are getting larger and her abdomen feels like it's got a bowling ball inside.

Popular posts from this blog

The Law According to Murphy

Today we hoofed it around The Mall. Again. I am 1 part too excited about the weather to go underground to take the Metro and 2 parts too phobic to ride the Metro as the Grown Up In Charge. The last time I was in DC, I was a whopping 17 years old and being led around by the Close Up Foundation . The biggest responsibility I had was deciding what color I wanted them to make my hair at Commander Salamander . So, we walked. And, truly we're just a few block from the Capitol. However, if you've been to DC, you know that the Capitol and, say, the Washington Monument are a smidgen apart from one another...like a mile-long smidgen. And, if you know me then you know that I am the world's number one couch potato. In fact, there are many times I don't even go all the way to the couch as it's just too far from my oh-so-comfy bed. God bless Tempur - pedic . There's a point in here. I swear. I'll get to it eventually. First, I must also explain that we had plans to meet...

Unacceptable

The only solution to my blogging debacle, to date, is the revert back to a standard template, without any of the bells and whistles that make my blog MINE. What is the point of a blog that is not MINE? How ironic is it that the NaBloPoMo theme for this month is "voices"? Today's post brought to you by the discourteous folks at Google who cannot be bothered to help the multitudes experiencing this problem. Thanks. Really. From the bottom of my heart. You guys are the best. Smooches!

Photo Hunt: Time

Hillary & Me 1987 Hillary & Me 2007 All that time ...the Garfield slippers and bared abdomens are gone, but we exchanged them for better things like children and arch support.