Skip to main content

Books and Cooks

In addition to our DVD viewing habits, we've been reading quite a bit. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows arrived yesterday. Drew got first dibs and is a few chapters in, but wavering between wanting to be outside enjoying the summer and holing up to read. Hopefully we'll finish before book group on the 1st.

I also picked up Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making by James Peterson from the library. I will definitely be buying my own copy. It will be a great complement to Culinary Artistry, my other must-have cooking guide. The kids have been taking turns cooking dinner (or occasionally a weekend breakfast) at least once a week this summer. It's been great fun to see their culinary styles emerge.

Aunnie is a recipe follower and planner, relying on Rachael Ray's Cooking Rocks: 30-Minutes Meals for Kids cookbook almost exclusively. It's a kid-friendly book with recipes organized by age-groups, spiral-bound so it lays flat on the counter, and filled with tips on technique coupled with lots of encouraging words. For breakfast this morning, Aunnie made Monte Cristo and Elvis French Toast Sammies. Yum. For dessert tonight she made another recipe from Cooking Rocks called Fuji Apples and Peanutbuttery Caramel Dip (although she used Gala apples rather than Fuji). Super, super yummy. We agreed that the dip would also make a great ice cream topper.

Drew seems to take after me with his disdain for following recipes. In fact, I don't think he's used single recipe all summer. He has surprising skill, combining ingredients with little to no guidance. Unlike me, he actually writes down his own recipes if he deems them worthy, so that he can make them again. Some of his hits so far have been lettuce wraps with Asian ginger sauce, tropical smoothies, and fusilli with sautéed zucchini alongside roasted red pepper and tomato soup. This last dish was inspired by our viewing of Ratatouille (loved it!) earlier that afternoon.

Now, if I could just get them to feed their three betta fish...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Law According to Murphy

Today we hoofed it around The Mall. Again. I am 1 part too excited about the weather to go underground to take the Metro and 2 parts too phobic to ride the Metro as the Grown Up In Charge. The last time I was in DC, I was a whopping 17 years old and being led around by the Close Up Foundation . The biggest responsibility I had was deciding what color I wanted them to make my hair at Commander Salamander . So, we walked. And, truly we're just a few block from the Capitol. However, if you've been to DC, you know that the Capitol and, say, the Washington Monument are a smidgen apart from one another...like a mile-long smidgen. And, if you know me then you know that I am the world's number one couch potato. In fact, there are many times I don't even go all the way to the couch as it's just too far from my oh-so-comfy bed. God bless Tempur - pedic . There's a point in here. I swear. I'll get to it eventually. First, I must also explain that we had plans to meet...

Unacceptable

The only solution to my blogging debacle, to date, is the revert back to a standard template, without any of the bells and whistles that make my blog MINE. What is the point of a blog that is not MINE? How ironic is it that the NaBloPoMo theme for this month is "voices"? Today's post brought to you by the discourteous folks at Google who cannot be bothered to help the multitudes experiencing this problem. Thanks. Really. From the bottom of my heart. You guys are the best. Smooches!

Photo Hunt: Time

Hillary & Me 1987 Hillary & Me 2007 All that time ...the Garfield slippers and bared abdomens are gone, but we exchanged them for better things like children and arch support.